Ping Dong Square...Lost and Found

 June 7, 2010

The day after we met Macy we traveled with her to her birthplace, Xingyi City.  One of the highlights of that trip was our visit to Ping Dong Square which was Macy’s finding place.  This is the place where Macy’s birth mother left her just hours after her birth almost four years ago.  Since this is a public place and it was a warm summer day we can assume her birth mother intended her to be found and in fact a Xingyi police officer did just that. The finding place is a very important place for Chinese adoptees.

Mr Wu the Orphanage Director and our guide Michael took us there.  While they explained to me that the square is a place for public events and where people come to do ti-chi in the mornings, Macy ran gleefully around the square.  Such a moment to see my beautiful, happy daughter running around the place where HER adoption journey began.
Later that day I realized we lost the pretty pink flowered headband Macy was wearing.  I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where it was or how we could have lost it UNTIL I looked at our photos from Ping Dong Square.  I gasped when I realized what I was looking at. There it was a splash of pink against the colorless stone tiles... left in the same place she herself was once left... Macy’s own poetic farewell to Ping Dong Square and to life as an orphan.

Something small and beautiful lost to a place where once someone small and beautiful was found.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs