Wednesday's Child

 October 12, 2011

Do you remember the little poem used to teach us the days of the week? I stumbled across it and realized (sigh) that I didn't know the day of the week when my daughters were born.  I remembered vividly everything about the day each of the boys were born but of course I was there. 

Sometimes it's tiny, silly, seemingly innocent things that remind you that adoption involves loss. 

 
Mondays child is fair of face, (Big Brother & Bee)

Tuesdays child is full of grace,
(Middle Child)

Wednesdays child is full of woe,

Thursdays child has far to go,
(Lady Bug)

Fridays child is loving and giving,
(Baby Boy)

Saturdays child works hard for his living,

And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.
(Baby Butterfly)


So as you can see I went back and learned the day of the week when each of my girls was born. 

The Bee on a Monday like her Big Brother..."fair of face"...I couldn't agree more!

Ladybug was born on a Thursday... "has far to go"...Like to the Oval Office, yes I agree with this one too!

And Baby Butterfly, my Sunday child..."bonny and blithe, and good and gay"...certainly everything we know suggests she is a happy child indeed!

One thing I realized in my little day of the week exercise was Baby Butterfly was born on Mother's Day.  Mother's Day 2008.  A day it turns out I do remember...vividly. 

We had been in the adoption process for a couple of years by then.  China had slowed to a near standstill. We had jumped over to Kaz that January but by February the Embassy stopped taking dossiers.  By the time Mother's Day 2008 rolled around we were in the middle of TWO stalled adoptions. I was losing hope and ready to give up.

As was our tradition we went to church that morning and then headed to brunch. And as always there were flowers and gifts...including one gift I will always treasure.  My darling husband slipped a necklace into my hand, a simple silver pendant with a pearl, engraved with the words, "keep the faith" and on the back the Chinese character for mother.   (Yes, he really is that awesome.)

I wore that necklace to Kazakhstan less than six months later when I met the Bee.  And I wore it again 18 months later when we went to China to adopt the Ladybug.

Of course back on that Mother's Day I couldn't even imagine I would be blessed with three beautiful daughters.  

Or that what was the lowest, most hopeless day in our adoption, a day I was sure I would never have a daughter...

would turn out to be...

the very same day my THIRD daughter was born.
Mother Day- May 11, 2008


Keep the faith, my friends.  Keep the faith.


Ok so tell me what day of the week was your child born?  Does the poem fit??



Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs