Co Sleep Means No Sleep

 May 29, 2012

I just couldn't do it another night.

Since our first night together in China our baby butterfly has slept in the bed with us. We wanted it that way as we feel it is a way to help foster strong bonding.  We did this for the first 6-8 months with each of the other girls and it was a positive experience for all of us.

But it has been exhausting this time around.  Let's just say she could pass for a bulldozer most nights.  Co sleeping has turned into No sleeping for us.  I mean, it's hard to rest well with a small foot stuck in your ear.

It's the number one reason I'm feeling so wiped out and I suspect Mia is likewise not fully rested.

Mattress-less toddler bed
Recently I've come to the conclusion that our lack of sleep and resulting exhaustion is actually interfering with bonding.  As much as I want us to snuggle close together I have to consider that our sleep strategy might be counter productive.

Something had to give and tonight was the night.

In a moment of sheer frustration I pulled the mattress off Mia's cute little toddler bed (the one she hasn't spent five minutes in) and dragged it into my bedroom.  I pushed the mattress right up against my side of the bed and added one of my pillows (well HER pillow for the past 9 weeks).

To my surprise and joy Mia was excited to lay in her bed!

I laid in my bed and rubbed her back and  held her hand until she drifted off to sleep.

Success!  At least for now.  It's only 9:30pm.

But I'm hopeful for the first time in weeks that we might all get a good night's rest.

Close....enough?
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs