AP's Go to Washington

 July 18, 2011

And I want you to come with me.

For the Empty Stroller March on the US Capital on August 26th.


The march is being organized by the Both Ends Burning Campaign, a global movement to transform the broken system of international adoption.
During the march protestors will be pushing empty strollers wrapped in red tape to represent the bureaucracy that prevents children from being with families.

WHO: Both Ends Burning Campaign
WHAT: “Empty Stroller” March on the U.S. Capitol.
WHEN: 2:00 pm; Aug. 26, 2011
WHERE: START: Children’s Carousel on National Mall
END: Upper Senate Park, Washington, D.C. 20001

Here is why I’m getting involved;

Both Ends Burning (BEB) is a campaign focused on transforming the process of international adoption.

A process that I have personally been both benefactor and victim of... I have been given two (soon to be three) beautiful daughters through international adoption BUT the process has been riddled with inefficiency, unnecessary delays, corruption, and exorbitant expense. It's broken and the fact that I "got out" with my girls isn't good enough.  The system needs to be fixed for the next family and the child still waiting for them.

BEB believes that growing up in a family is a child’s most basic human right.

As far as I’m concerned anything that gets in the way of this is an abuse. I know the arguments; heritage preservation, confirmed orphan status, child trafficking, they are all legitimate concerns. But I am taking about true orphaned kids waiting because of red tape, lack of funds, bureaucratic inefficacy and lack of political will. Don’t let anyone fool you; there is NO supply and demand issue here, just kids who need parents and QUALIFIED parents being blocked at every turn!


KAZ PARENTS HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD ADOPT ANOTHER CHILD FROM KAZ IF YOU COULD? IF KZ WAS OPEN, AND YOU DIDN’T HAVE TO COME UP WITH $50KOR LIVE THERE FOR 2 MONTHS? HOW ARE THE KIDS IN THE BABY HOUSES BETTER OFF TODAY, CLOSED OFF TO Families?

BEB also believes there must be a reduction in the amount of time it takes to place orphan children in their forever families in order to decrease the detrimental effects of institutionalization and for these children to be able to reach their full potential.

This is perhaps the most personal for me. Right now my daughter is ROTTING in an orphanage getting NONE of the services and LOVE that she is entitled to only because we, HER FAMILY, must wait for the red tape to process. WHY IS IT TAKING USCIS 90 DAYS TO PROCESS THE I800A FORM? As an adoption community we are very good about helping one another navigate the red tape but it is not enough. WE NEED TO CUT THE RED TAPE NOW AND FOREVER MORE.

CHINA PARENTS MOST OF US ARE ADOPTING KIDS WITH MEDICAL NEEDS, HOW CRITICAL ARE THOSE MONTHS OF USCIS DELAY TO OUR CHILDREN! WHY IS OUR OWN GOVERNMENT ALLOWED TO TAKE NEARLY A THOUSAND DOLLAR FEE AND GIVE SUCH CRAPPY SERVICE!!

HEY USCIS THEY ARE KIDS NOT CASES. HURRY UP!

And so I’m going to Washington and I’m going to push my taped up empty stroller and I’m going to hope and pray that somehow enough of us show up that someone in authority will care enough to do the right thing

So if you want to join me PLEASE DO. Leave a comment here or email me directly. Once I know who is coming I will arrange for meeting points, hotels and even driving buddies.

If you can’t go please sign the petition to end the red tape, consider joining BEB’s Campaign to improve international adoption and share this post with your friends in the adoption community.

And check out this video, it's spot on!  (BTW-and totally random- this is the kid from the viral "all the single ladies" video-too funny.)



Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs