...and she saved us right back

 March 1, 2009

Yesterday I read a post from a fellow blogger and long time supporter of ours. I was saddened to see that some anonymous blog stalker, (a supposed fellow KZ adoptive parent), criticized her for using the term "save" and "rescue" when referring to adoption. While I understand the commenter's point, I have to say that objectively, "save" and "rescue" are not unreasonable terms to describe our experience. The reality is in the Baby House our daughter was not nurtured, exposed to TB, under stimulated, non communicative, profoundly sad and malnourished. What then do you call it when you remove a child from this environment to a happy and healthy family?



I don't want to foster a negative self image in Nina and I do acknowledge that my communication with her on this topic must be thoughtful. Parenting offers mutual benefit to child and parent and adoption does not change this. But in many ways I do feel that we saved Nina and that she, this beautiful, most desired child, saved us right back.



this is the child we met...


and here she is today less than two months later...










Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs