Casting Day

 September 13, 2012

It's hard to believe that next week will mark six months since baby butterfly flew into our arms.  She has come a long way in those short months and I think its quite possible that I've come even farther.

More on that another time.

Today I wanted to share that Mia started a serial casting therapy to help restore some flexibility in her right heel cord. (You may recall she has right-sided hemipelegia .)  She is also using orthotic shoes to help strengthen her left foot.  The casting will last eight weeks and she will get a new cast every weeks that progressively stretches her heel cord.  After eight weeks of casting she will be moved into orthotic boots.

As you can see she is now a VERY happy child. Even the therapists remarked about her good natured response to the cast.


In fact she was really excited to show everyone her new blue shoes! (Of course she doesn't look excited in this picture because she wants to play with my phone and I want Dad to take her picture, humpf.)


 But really she is a trooper! And hasn't complained at all about her cast.  She's already walking on it and even climbing up and down from the bed.  Even at bedtime she didn't complain (gawh, I know I would have!) but she did bring her foot up to her mouth and try to chew on the cotton strip sticking out from between her casted toes.  Goofball.


As anxious as I was to start the therapy (the therapy she should have gotten as a baby but didn't) Im glad we waited until now to get started.  I cant imagine doing this with a child who couldn't communicate with us or didn't yet trusts us.

The fact that today went as well as it did is a testimony to just how far we've come in the attachment process.

Really we have all come very, very far.


 

IF YOU ARE HERE, READING THIS BLOG THAN PLEASE BE SURE TO CLICK TO VOTE FOR ME ON TOP MOMMY BLOG.  I NEED YOUR HELP TO STAY IN THE TOP 10!
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs